Sunday, July 26, 2009

A personal look at working on vacation

Before I went on vacation with 21 members of my extended family last week, I saw an Accenture survey showing that 53% of people who say they want work/life balance still work on vacation.

I did a little research of my own and found that about 60% of my fully employed family members worked on vacation, some because they had specific deadlines to meet and others to stay on top of their e-mail. At least one said, "If I can check in with work, it's easier to relax and enjoy myself."

The laptops that popped up on the kitchen counter and patio table are further evidence of the "mashup" of work and leisure, which some have called "weisure." I don't think it's good or bad. It just is. It's the way we live now.

No comments:

Post a Comment