Saturday, July 11, 2009

Portfolio life: Structure of a different kind

Ever since I read Age of Unreason, by Charles Handy, I've embraced the idea of a portfolio life. Handy quit his full-time job and set aside 100 days a year for making money, 100 for writing, 100 for spending time with his wife, and 50 for good works. This, I think, is intentional living at its best. Handy figured out that he could make enough money to live on by just working 100 days a year and there were other things in life he wanted to do besides work. The "100 day" structure makes it easy for him to spend time on what's important to him rather than what comes up. "When people phone and ask me to do something, I can say, 'I'm terribly sorry, that's my day with my wife'. It is a freeing way of life," he says. I'm not there yet, but I'm moving in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment